In 1633 the town of Tetbury was sold by Lord Berkeley to four local residents who were described as the Feoffees in the legal bill of sale. This document also formalised the Thirteen, literally thirteen townfolk to serve as elected town wardens.
Today the Feoffees have charitable status
owning a number of sites in and around
the town and they continue to this day
as seven Feoffees, supported by
the Thirteen. They are custodians
of the town who work voluntarily
for the good of Tetbury.